Life's What You Make It!

This blog is designed to keep you up-to-date on our familiy's adventures!







Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The first day of school on the second day of school


Of course she chose the sparkly pink shirt! What else would you wear on your first day of 2nd grade!

When I said I wanted a picture with their backpacks, Taya said "Come on Chloe, give mom a little shoulder action."

I followed Chloe to her locker and embarrassed her by taking her picture by it. Taya is in the background saying "Mom hurry up. You are so embarrassing!"

Well, it wasn't a typical start to the school year this year. The girls have spent the entire month of September being sick. They started getting sick on the 1st and were lethargic, complaining of a headache and stomachache and had fevers as high as 103.6 the whole weekend. Me, being the know-it-all nurse that I am, thought it was viral and they would just get over it. No reason to bring them in. Finally, on Monday they weren't getting any better so I brought both the ladies to urgent care. And, guess what? Both were positive for strep throat! EEK! Neither one of the girls will take medication. And I mean, they won't take it. Taking medication involves holding them down and practically pouring it down their throats. So, I was mean and opted for the shot of antibiotics. They had to miss their first day of school because they were still contagious and they spent the entire day yesterday limping around or, in Chloe's case, refusing to walk on their leg at all. You would have thought someone stabbed them. Geez! 

But, I woke them up this morning and said, "Okay, ladies! Time for your first day of school!" and they did get up and get moving. Slowly, but they made it!

I wasn't too worried about Chloe because she is an experienced elementary school student. "It is my third year, mom. I know what I'm doing.", Chloe told me. However, Taya had missed the first day of school. She is starting middle school this year. The first day of school only the 6th graders start so they can be eased in and have an orientation before throwing the 7th and 8th graders in the mix! So, Taya missed that. I was really nervous when I dropped her off. It seemed like there were so many kids. There are 327 students in her 6th grade class this year! I'm worried she won't be able to find her homeroom or figure out how to open her locker! Well, being a parent means letting go and that it exactly what I had to do this morning.

Good luck ladies! I hope you have a fantastic day! Now, what am I going to do with all of my free time?

No comments:

Post a Comment